Skip to main content

Antique Mirror Patina

Most of the projects I do are for others. 
And that's fine, because if I were to use all of my ideas and techniques in my own home,
it would look like a crazy-quilt! 
 Instead, I happily live vicariously at my clients' homes.

This weekend, however, I got the itch to do a small project for myself
- freshening up the laundry room. 
While this certainly isn't the most exciting room in the house, it is one that gets a lot of use. 
 And because of that, this room deserved some attention.
Inspired by a magazine photo,
I decided add some distressed mirrors to each of the cabinet doors. 
I measured the inner portion of the cabinet and had a local glass shop cut new mirrors for me. 
 With a little research, I located a patinating system at

Ideally this chemical process should be done out-doors on a warm sunny day,
 not a cold, grey February one. 
Never one to be deterred, I plodded ahead
determined to create some antique mirrors, today!
 The stripping agent went on with a roller. 
 Heat lamps kept the surface warm.
Good ventilation is a must.

When the paint curdled, it was time to wipe off the back of mirror,
revealing a shinny silver backing waiting to be tarnished.

The tarnishing agent was applied with a spay bottle, then checked often to see the progress. 
When the desired amount of distressing was reached,
the mirrors were rinsed with water to stop further chemical action.

A final step was to paint the back of the mirror with flat black paint. 
I've experimented with using gold, grey, brown and green backing, too. 
Each gives a unique look, but black suited my purpose the best.

After much wiping, watching, waiting, and wondering,
the mirrors were ready to be installed. 
Just what the room needed, a little p'zazz!


Now if only the laundry could get done so easily!



Popular posts from this blog

A Family Tree

I was given AS a Mother's Day gift!
A friend's children, all young adults,  asked if I would paint a tree  on the wall in their game-room as a gift for their Mother on her special day. 
They had collected family photos, both old and new, and wanted to create a wall similar to one she had seen on-line, and admired.
Here's the inspiration shared with me.
Painter's tape helped plan where the main branches would go. And then I began to paint... until the wall was filled.

All the photos were framed in black, which helped unify their various sizes and shapes.
We decided where the frames would go
by holding them up to the wall, moving them a little to the left here
-- or a bit higher there.
Satisfied, the empty frame was nailed to the wall.

One by one the frames were filled with family photos,
and here's the happy result.

The tree spills across the entire wall
and wraps around the corner,
so as the family grows, there's room for more photos.

What a thoughtful gift,
for a very special Mothe…

Birch Tree Nursery

The color Grey is hitting our area -
and while I've never been fond of grey, I'll admit that my opinion is quickly changing.

Today's little project was a grey nursery -
with the new crib soon to be delivered,
and yellow/white linens from Pottery Barn.
...A smart look that's appropriate
for a little boy or girl.

The Mom-to-Be shared a photo of her inspiration with me.
She found it on-line at Off-Beat Mamma.
Notice the grey walls again!

But she wanted only a few trees flanking the crib.
And the design looked too stripe-y (is that a word?) for her.
Could the branches be bigger?

So feeling properly inspired, I set to work.
I made a little sketch
and used tape to lay out the tree design.

Before long there was a little grove of birch trees,
and the crib will nestle underneath them.

Hopeful...A Hope Chest Make-over

A hope chest.
Perhaps your grandmother had one.
There was a time when young ladies would stitch lace trimmed linens, quilts, towels, and gather dishes and silver in anticipation of starting their own home.
They'd save them in their hope chest.  Today brides merely register at Bed Bath and Beyond! .

This is how the chest looked at first. Well almost.  Originally, the chest sat on the ground. But adding new legs gives it a lift.

Then step by step it got a face lift!
It started with an inspiration clipped from a magazine.

And grew from there. First with paint.
And some glazing.
Some sanding.

Followed by gold highlights.

I dabbed the brush here and there, back and forth, and all around.  Finally, I was satisfied.
And the chest was ready to go to its new home.

Yes, this is a sneak peek at my friend Sherry's master bedroom re-design.
I can't show you more, until she's ready!

P.S.  See more inspiring projects at Domestically Speaking. Power of Paint Party!