Skip to main content

Spring is in the Air


Today was a glorious spring day when staying indoors was impossible.  So I set up a table outside and began a simple project, spraying a few frames.  The largest frame held a mirror, the two smaller ones, whimsical paintings.

These were for a friend who recently moved home after spending several years in South Africa.  Currently she is feathering her new nest in a lovely blend of neutral colors - cream, white dove and taupe, with a dash of muted blue.  It's a peaceful and calm oasis dotted with family treasures and wonderful objects gathered during her time abroad.  


She called and asked me to help with a few details.  Would I stop by to gather up some picture frames that needed to be painted, and could we also talk about some ideas for re-doing a dresser in her son's room. 


The frames were ornate with deep moldings and embellishment.  Their antique gold and silver leaf no longer fit into her home, but with a little paint, they could be used again.  My friend suggested painting them in a simple glossy color that would fit her new home's style.




The day itself  was pretty enough to be a picture!


Normally I would remove an item from its frame before painting - but the mirror was not cooperating, so I left it in place.  I masked the edges and put a shield over the glass to protect it from paint.



The first step was to prime the frame,


then to paint it, using high gloss Charcoal Grey. 

You can see I used paint in a spray can.  One can did two frames - for the economical price of less than $3.00.  Who can dispute the value in redecorating with paint!  




After drying in the sunshine, the tape was pulled and the paintings put back  into place.  I'll take them over to my friend's home later in the week.  They'll look much better in her home, than in my yard! 



If you have a variety of mismatched frames, a can of spray paint will work magic.  United by color, even the most oddly assorted frames can look like they were made for each other.  It's a transformation that is simple, economical, and fun!    There are so many colors to choose from, you're sure to find one that fits your home.  So go ahead, paint something wonderful!

Painter's Tip:  Benjamin Moore now offers Custom filled spray cans.  Any color from their fan-deck! Any sheen!  Any product! These cans are great for switch plates, light fixtures, shutters or even picture frames.  

Comments

  1. Your post is so well written, in a fashion that always reminds me of the Canadian mystery writer, Gail Bowen. Thanks for the tips regarding the frames. I am sure your friend will be delighted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon,
    You are so talented. I so enjoy visiting your site! Thanks for sharing.

    Shelly P

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to write. I enjoy hearing from you!

Popular posts from this blog

A Family Tree

I was given AS a Mother's Day gift!
A friend's children, all young adults,  asked if I would paint a tree  on the wall in their game-room as a gift for their Mother on her special day. 
They had collected family photos, both old and new, and wanted to create a wall similar to one she had seen on-line, and admired.
Here's the inspiration shared with me.
Painter's tape helped plan where the main branches would go. And then I began to paint... until the wall was filled.


All the photos were framed in black, which helped unify their various sizes and shapes.
We decided where the frames would go
by holding them up to the wall, moving them a little to the left here
-- or a bit higher there.
Satisfied, the empty frame was nailed to the wall.

One by one the frames were filled with family photos,
and here's the happy result.


The tree spills across the entire wall
and wraps around the corner,
so as the family grows, there's room for more photos.

What a thoughtful gift,
for a very special Mothe…

Birch Tree Nursery

The color Grey is hitting our area -
and while I've never been fond of grey, I'll admit that my opinion is quickly changing.

Today's little project was a grey nursery -
with the new crib soon to be delivered,
and yellow/white linens from Pottery Barn.
...A smart look that's appropriate
for a little boy or girl.



The Mom-to-Be shared a photo of her inspiration with me.
She found it on-line at Off-Beat Mamma.
Notice the grey walls again!


But she wanted only a few trees flanking the crib.
And the design looked too stripe-y (is that a word?) for her.
Could the branches be bigger?

So feeling properly inspired, I set to work.
I made a little sketch
and used tape to lay out the tree design.



Before long there was a little grove of birch trees,
and the crib will nestle underneath them.
Enjoy!

Hopeful...A Hope Chest Make-over

A hope chest.
Perhaps your grandmother had one.
There was a time when young ladies would stitch lace trimmed linens, quilts, towels, and gather dishes and silver in anticipation of starting their own home.
They'd save them in their hope chest.  Today brides merely register at Bed Bath and Beyond! .


This is how the chest looked at first. Well almost.  Originally, the chest sat on the ground. But adding new legs gives it a lift.

BEFORE
Then step by step it got a face lift!
It started with an inspiration clipped from a magazine.


And grew from there. First with paint.
And some glazing.
Some sanding.

Followed by gold highlights.

I dabbed the brush here and there, back and forth, and all around.  Finally, I was satisfied.
And the chest was ready to go to its new home.

Yes, this is a sneak peek at my friend Sherry's master bedroom re-design.
I can't show you more, until she's ready!
Enjoy!

P.S.  See more inspiring projects at Domestically Speaking. Power of Paint Party!