Skip to main content

A Bit of Italy



            

On Friday morning, I installed a small mural
for a delightful client
 who has transformed her lakeside home
 into one with European flair.

My part of the project was to paint a vineyard scene
for a false window in the lower level game room. 

After pouring over photos from her trips to Italy ,
the client chose a very muted pastoral scene
as an inspiration for the mural. 
 
 While the carpenters and painters finished their jobs,
I painted the mural in my workshop.

Here's how it grew:

Not wanting to paint on a fresh, white canvas,
I first "dirtied" it up
with a rub of earthy browns and umbers. 
 This under-painting gives depth and texture 
to the colors that will be painted on top.


Using the client's photo as a guide,
 the colors and shapes were washed in.



 
At this stage, things are rough
 and I don't like anyone to see -
but I did promise to send e-mail photos to the client
so she could see the progress every step of the way....
 
I guess you can see them, too!


Little by little, the scene took shape. 
More buildings. 
 More greenery. 


I confess that when I'm painting,
there is always a point of discouragement 
when I feel no progress is being made. 
 
Things seem to be going very sl-o-o-wly. 
This picture is of that moment.
 
That's when I fidget,
brew yet another cup of tea
and scrounge the cupboard
for any morsel of forgotten chocolate. 
 
I'll distract myself by doing the most useless things -
sharpening all the colored pencils,
reorganizing the shelves of art books,
throwing out old paint,
and cleaning the studio's crusty sink.

After that burst of restless energy,
 I settle back to work.
Soon the mural is ready for the client's final approval. 
 
It didn't take long at all! 

 

The carpenter left a space in the wall to hang the mural. 
 Isn't the stacked brick beautiful?



The mural was dry-mounted onto a piece of 1/4" luan board
cut to the shape of the opening. 
 
Hoping for the best, I popped it into place. 
 Only a small adjustment was needed for a perfect fit.

Here's a close up of how the mural fit into ine brick opening.



So now, when family and friends gather in the game room,
they can enjoy a vacation scene.
 

Enjoy!
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Family Tree

I was given AS a Mother's Day gift!
A friend's children, all young adults,  asked if I would paint a tree  on the wall in their game-room as a gift for their Mother on her special day. 
They had collected family photos, both old and new, and wanted to create a wall similar to one she had seen on-line, and admired.
Here's the inspiration shared with me.
Painter's tape helped plan where the main branches would go. And then I began to paint... until the wall was filled.


All the photos were framed in black, which helped unify their various sizes and shapes.
We decided where the frames would go
by holding them up to the wall, moving them a little to the left here
-- or a bit higher there.
Satisfied, the empty frame was nailed to the wall.

One by one the frames were filled with family photos,
and here's the happy result.


The tree spills across the entire wall
and wraps around the corner,
so as the family grows, there's room for more photos.

What a thoughtful gift,
for a very special Mothe…

Birch Tree Nursery

The color Grey is hitting our area -
and while I've never been fond of grey, I'll admit that my opinion is quickly changing.

Today's little project was a grey nursery -
with the new crib soon to be delivered,
and yellow/white linens from Pottery Barn.
...A smart look that's appropriate
for a little boy or girl.



The Mom-to-Be shared a photo of her inspiration with me.
She found it on-line at Off-Beat Mamma.
Notice the grey walls again!


But she wanted only a few trees flanking the crib.
And the design looked too stripe-y (is that a word?) for her.
Could the branches be bigger?

So feeling properly inspired, I set to work.
I made a little sketch
and used tape to lay out the tree design.



Before long there was a little grove of birch trees,
and the crib will nestle underneath them.
Enjoy!

Hopeful...A Hope Chest Make-over

A hope chest.
Perhaps your grandmother had one.
There was a time when young ladies would stitch lace trimmed linens, quilts, towels, and gather dishes and silver in anticipation of starting their own home.
They'd save them in their hope chest.  Today brides merely register at Bed Bath and Beyond! .


This is how the chest looked at first. Well almost.  Originally, the chest sat on the ground. But adding new legs gives it a lift.

BEFORE
Then step by step it got a face lift!
It started with an inspiration clipped from a magazine.


And grew from there. First with paint.
And some glazing.
Some sanding.

Followed by gold highlights.

I dabbed the brush here and there, back and forth, and all around.  Finally, I was satisfied.
And the chest was ready to go to its new home.

Yes, this is a sneak peek at my friend Sherry's master bedroom re-design.
I can't show you more, until she's ready!
Enjoy!

P.S.  See more inspiring projects at Domestically Speaking. Power of Paint Party!