Sunday, September 12, 2010

Out of the Basement


 Years ago, this library table sat forgotten in the basement of my in-law's home.  It was piled high with rusty cans of old house paint and covered in dust.  I learned that the table originally came from my husband's grandmother's house. His mother sat there to do her to do her schoolwork, and so for that reason alone, I needed to rescue the table from its ignoble setting.
 That's how the table came to its place of honor in our foyer.  We happily toss our keys and drop the mail onto it, and it's the perfect spot for a few holiday decorations.  I liked everything about this table except --its legs!  So every so often I would make a new skirt to hide them.


This week I decided it was time for a new skirt.  Rather than use pricey fabric, I made this one with a new painter's drop cloth, adding a thin painted stripe for embellishment.  Painting the drop cloth was so easy - after all the fabric is made to attract and absorb paint.




I gathered one edge of the drop cloth, ruffling it until it fit the size of the table, then stapled it to the underside of the table top.

Applying several layers of polished plaster, the table top was made to look like distressed leather. A light rub of bronze highlights the carving, then for a little extra detail, I crackled the edge with black and bronze.



From basement to foyer, this table moved up in the world and got a new lease on life.




                                 Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Hello! I happened upon your blog from Creations from my heart. Your blog is full of wonderful ideas. I have become your newest follower. Happy blogging. I know I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to write. I enjoy hearing from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails