Skip to main content

Out of the Basement


 Years ago, this library table sat forgotten in the basement of my in-law's home.  It was piled high with rusty cans of old house paint and covered in dust.  I learned that the table originally came from my husband's grandmother's house. His mother sat there to do her to do her schoolwork, and so for that reason alone, I needed to rescue the table from its ignoble setting.
 That's how the table came to its place of honor in our foyer.  We happily toss our keys and drop the mail onto it, and it's the perfect spot for a few holiday decorations.  I liked everything about this table except --its legs!  So every so often I would make a new skirt to hide them.


This week I decided it was time for a new skirt.  Rather than use pricey fabric, I made this one with a new painter's drop cloth, adding a thin painted stripe for embellishment.  Painting the drop cloth was so easy - after all the fabric is made to attract and absorb paint.




I gathered one edge of the drop cloth, ruffling it until it fit the size of the table, then stapled it to the underside of the table top.

Applying several layers of polished plaster, the table top was made to look like distressed leather. A light rub of bronze highlights the carving, then for a little extra detail, I crackled the edge with black and bronze.



From basement to foyer, this table moved up in the world and got a new lease on life.




                                 Enjoy!

Comments

  1. Hello! I happened upon your blog from Creations from my heart. Your blog is full of wonderful ideas. I have become your newest follower. Happy blogging. I know I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to write. I enjoy hearing from you!

Popular posts from this blog

A Family Tree

I was given AS a Mother's Day gift!
A friend's children, all young adults,  asked if I would paint a tree  on the wall in their game-room as a gift for their Mother on her special day. 
They had collected family photos, both old and new, and wanted to create a wall similar to one she had seen on-line, and admired.
Here's the inspiration shared with me.
Painter's tape helped plan where the main branches would go. And then I began to paint... until the wall was filled.


All the photos were framed in black, which helped unify their various sizes and shapes.
We decided where the frames would go
by holding them up to the wall, moving them a little to the left here
-- or a bit higher there.
Satisfied, the empty frame was nailed to the wall.

One by one the frames were filled with family photos,
and here's the happy result.


The tree spills across the entire wall
and wraps around the corner,
so as the family grows, there's room for more photos.

What a thoughtful gift,
for a very special Mothe…

Birch Tree Nursery

The color Grey is hitting our area -
and while I've never been fond of grey, I'll admit that my opinion is quickly changing.

Today's little project was a grey nursery -
with the new crib soon to be delivered,
and yellow/white linens from Pottery Barn.
...A smart look that's appropriate
for a little boy or girl.



The Mom-to-Be shared a photo of her inspiration with me.
She found it on-line at Off-Beat Mamma.
Notice the grey walls again!


But she wanted only a few trees flanking the crib.
And the design looked too stripe-y (is that a word?) for her.
Could the branches be bigger?

So feeling properly inspired, I set to work.
I made a little sketch
and used tape to lay out the tree design.



Before long there was a little grove of birch trees,
and the crib will nestle underneath them.
Enjoy!

Hopeful...A Hope Chest Make-over

A hope chest.
Perhaps your grandmother had one.
There was a time when young ladies would stitch lace trimmed linens, quilts, towels, and gather dishes and silver in anticipation of starting their own home.
They'd save them in their hope chest.  Today brides merely register at Bed Bath and Beyond! .


This is how the chest looked at first. Well almost.  Originally, the chest sat on the ground. But adding new legs gives it a lift.

BEFORE
Then step by step it got a face lift!
It started with an inspiration clipped from a magazine.


And grew from there. First with paint.
And some glazing.
Some sanding.

Followed by gold highlights.

I dabbed the brush here and there, back and forth, and all around.  Finally, I was satisfied.
And the chest was ready to go to its new home.

Yes, this is a sneak peek at my friend Sherry's master bedroom re-design.
I can't show you more, until she's ready!
Enjoy!

P.S.  See more inspiring projects at Domestically Speaking. Power of Paint Party!