Skip to main content

Frame up

Just as the right accessories make an outfit look fabulous, the right accessories for your home can complete a room and make it look fabulous, too.

A client wanted to hang this mirror in her dining room, but the color needed a change.  The yellow-gold leafing on the frame was too gaudy for her muted neutral style.  Could I make the frame more more silvery?  More like champagne?  And leave a little of the gold showing?  But not too much?


I gathered a few items from the studio shelves and began to work.  You can easily find these items, or similar ones, at your paint store.  For this project I used:  Pratt-Lambert Winslow Gray #2270 mixed by my Sherwin Williams store as a tester, Modern Masters Warm Silver, an opaque metal paint, and Valspar spray paint in Brushed Nickel.

I began tapping the Winslow Gray paint onto the frame.  The name is mis-leading as Winslow Gray actually is teriffic neutral beige!  I used an inexpensive chip brush for this step, randomly tapping and pushing on the color.  I didn't want complete coverage, but left some of the gold showing.  

Using the same rough brush, I dabbed on some of the Modern Masters Warm silver.  A nice contrast was developing between the flat wall paint and the metallic paint.

                                      

As a highlight, I lightly misted areas with the Valspar Brushed Nickle spray paint.   A final sanding adds some distressing and reveals small areas of the frame's original red primer.    The frame was ready for its new home!



Enjoy!

Comments

  1. This mirror is simply lovely. I have a mirror frame to redo and so I will keep your technique in mind.
    Traci

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to write. I enjoy hearing from you!

Popular posts from this blog

A Family Tree

I was given AS a Mother's Day gift!
A friend's children, all young adults,  asked if I would paint a tree  on the wall in their game-room as a gift for their Mother on her special day. 
They had collected family photos, both old and new, and wanted to create a wall similar to one she had seen on-line, and admired.
Here's the inspiration shared with me.
Painter's tape helped plan where the main branches would go. And then I began to paint... until the wall was filled.


All the photos were framed in black, which helped unify their various sizes and shapes.
We decided where the frames would go
by holding them up to the wall, moving them a little to the left here
-- or a bit higher there.
Satisfied, the empty frame was nailed to the wall.

One by one the frames were filled with family photos,
and here's the happy result.


The tree spills across the entire wall
and wraps around the corner,
so as the family grows, there's room for more photos.

What a thoughtful gift,
for a very special Mothe…

Birch Tree Nursery

The color Grey is hitting our area -
and while I've never been fond of grey, I'll admit that my opinion is quickly changing.

Today's little project was a grey nursery -
with the new crib soon to be delivered,
and yellow/white linens from Pottery Barn.
...A smart look that's appropriate
for a little boy or girl.



The Mom-to-Be shared a photo of her inspiration with me.
She found it on-line at Off-Beat Mamma.
Notice the grey walls again!


But she wanted only a few trees flanking the crib.
And the design looked too stripe-y (is that a word?) for her.
Could the branches be bigger?

So feeling properly inspired, I set to work.
I made a little sketch
and used tape to lay out the tree design.



Before long there was a little grove of birch trees,
and the crib will nestle underneath them.
Enjoy!

Hopeful...A Hope Chest Make-over

A hope chest.
Perhaps your grandmother had one.
There was a time when young ladies would stitch lace trimmed linens, quilts, towels, and gather dishes and silver in anticipation of starting their own home.
They'd save them in their hope chest.  Today brides merely register at Bed Bath and Beyond! .


This is how the chest looked at first. Well almost.  Originally, the chest sat on the ground. But adding new legs gives it a lift.

BEFORE
Then step by step it got a face lift!
It started with an inspiration clipped from a magazine.


And grew from there. First with paint.
And some glazing.
Some sanding.

Followed by gold highlights.

I dabbed the brush here and there, back and forth, and all around.  Finally, I was satisfied.
And the chest was ready to go to its new home.

Yes, this is a sneak peek at my friend Sherry's master bedroom re-design.
I can't show you more, until she's ready!
Enjoy!

P.S.  See more inspiring projects at Domestically Speaking. Power of Paint Party!