Monday, September 27, 2010

Fun with a Friend







It's always fun when a friend calls and asks for help
in finishing off a project for her home. 
That's what happened recently when a member of my Book Club called
and asked me to paint a border in her young daughter's room. 
So off I went to have some fun!

The room already looked cute as can be. 
 It was very feminine - painted pale lavender with soft white furnishings. 
The drapery panels were made from bridal satin, trimmed with silk flowers.  
 



My friend wanted a strand of pearls painted around the top of the room,
 which meant painting lots of small dots. 
 
All the tools I needed to do the job I found in the kitchen! 
 
Here's a quick tip on how to get a perfect swag each and every time: 
 use kitchen string. 
Tape one end of the string to the wall. 
 Unwind a length of string along the wall
 until you find an appealing size and shape for your swag. 
 
Tape the other end to the wall. 

The natural weight of the string will naturally fall into a curved, symmetrical shape.  
 Use a pencil ( I use watercolor pencils)
to lightly trace the line of the string onto the wall. 
 

For the pearls, I grabbed another kitchen item - a cork! 
By dipping the end of an ordinary kitchen cork into white paint,
I could paint several equal sized circles quickly and easily. 
Tap!  Tap!  Tap! 
 
Easy as that!


I finished each strand of pearls with a tassel.
 
Then, a chandelier silhouette.
A vinyl pre-cut design was found on-line.
 
 These vinyl wall designs are an easy to add a special detail to any room
.....and they're reasonably priced, too. 

Once installed, I lightly painted some shadows on it
 so that it looked  like the pearls and tassels.

 
My friend added some extra glitz and glam
 by gluing gems and crystals to the chandelier.
 
 In the end she had a very sweet room for her little girl.
 
 



Enjoy!

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Out of the Basement


 Years ago, this library table sat forgotten in the basement of my in-law's home.  It was piled high with rusty cans of old house paint and covered in dust.  I learned that the table originally came from my husband's grandmother's house. His mother sat there to do her to do her schoolwork, and so for that reason alone, I needed to rescue the table from its ignoble setting.
 That's how the table came to its place of honor in our foyer.  We happily toss our keys and drop the mail onto it, and it's the perfect spot for a few holiday decorations.  I liked everything about this table except --its legs!  So every so often I would make a new skirt to hide them.


This week I decided it was time for a new skirt.  Rather than use pricey fabric, I made this one with a new painter's drop cloth, adding a thin painted stripe for embellishment.  Painting the drop cloth was so easy - after all the fabric is made to attract and absorb paint.




I gathered one edge of the drop cloth, ruffling it until it fit the size of the table, then stapled it to the underside of the table top.

Applying several layers of polished plaster, the table top was made to look like distressed leather. A light rub of bronze highlights the carving, then for a little extra detail, I crackled the edge with black and bronze.


Sunday, September 5, 2010

A Name for Baby

 
 


Isn't this a beautiful room? 
Applause for Mary Grace and her line of couture baby bedding, Baby Bellagio. 
 She did another outstanding job! 
The fabrics are a frothy mix of pink and peach with lace overlays and ribbons
...very feminine and delicate.  
 
 I enjoyed being part of this lovely project.


Rather than paint the banner with the baby's name directly on the wall,
we decided to paint it on canvas,
and create a decal that could easily be removed later.
 
The banner would be about 36" long.
 
I used a snippet of ribbon to show me how the folds in the banner would appear. 
 

The Mad Stencilist provided the vinyl lettering template. 
 I've mentioned this service before; 
its one I rely upon often because it saves me so much time in drafting the letters. 
 The font is one of my favorites -"Chopin."



With the template secured to the banner, its a simple matter to paint the letters.  
 Just color between the lines! 
  Three colors were stippled across the letters to give them a bit more dimension.

Remove the template, strengthen the shadows, 
cut out the design  and the little banner was ready for hanging!


If you look closely you'll see that I added some "bling" to the dot on the letter "I"....couldn't help myself!


Enjoy!
Related Posts with Thumbnails