Sunday, January 9, 2011

A Kitchen Mural



We will open the book.  Its pages are blank. 
 We are going to put words on them ourselves. 
The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Year's Day.
(Edith Loveljoy Pierce)

Each New Year brings a fresh start -- time to begin with a clean page of the book and write a new chapter for ourselves.....a "do over" of sorts. 

In the spirit of starting over, let me share a recent project with you that I had to do over because of a mistake I made.  And while I resolve not to make that particular mistake again, I'm certain there are new ones waiting for me!



The homeowner wanted a small mural painted her kitchen.  Both she and her husband enjoy their home's wooded setting  - birds and squirrels fill their yard.  So they wanted a window scene to include some of their favorite creatures.
I measured the space, a peak above the dining table, and returned to the studio to paint the scene.  But as I worked, the mural seemed too small, and so I impulsively decided to make it larger.

You guessed it!  When I returned to the client's home to install the mural, it was too big for the space!  Disappointed, (and thoroughly annoyed with myself) I went back to the studio and began again, this time sticking to the original measurements. 

Lesson learned:  Plan your work, then work your plan.  

And, then, because I would be starting over, the client asked for a few changes to the design.  Surpise, the second mural was more appealing than the first!  The client and I liked it even better (whew!) than the first.

Lesson learned: There are no mistakes, only happy accidents.

Here's how the mural grew:

A soft wash of sky and clouds

a little bit of  foliage
 
the beginnings of a squirrel

he's almost done



And ready to deliver.....again!

              
Now, even though its winter outside, there's a little reminder of summer inside.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. your work is so awesome!!!!
    can you come to jersey?
    marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Sharon, you never cease to amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharon
    Delighted to have met you last night and learn who created my lovely powder room! And, just viewing your website makes me feel more creative. Sharon F.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to write. I enjoy hearing from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails