Sunday, March 6, 2011

Mural: show your school spirit



 This young family was passionate about their alma mater, Michigan State.  They wanted a mural that would show support for their team and be fun for their friends.  

 Their entertainment area was designed to look like a pub.  With seven TV screens (including one in the bathroom!), not a moment of any game would be missed.  

Could I paint Sparty, the school's mascot, standing before a stadium crowd? 
...And include fraternity brothers in the crowd?

Armed with a stack of photos and snapshots of each fraternity brother's face, I spent some time at the computer creating a collage of images.

Once all the boys and Sparty were organized, I used the posterize feature of Photoshop. 
This nifty feature turns images into illustrations. 

Like this:
 

For this project I used an overhead projector to put the image onto the wall. 

Let the painting begin:
Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Day 4

Because Sparty is over 6' tall, I was concerned that the couple's two-year old son might be frightened of it.  But no, he ran into the room and tried to hug the picture!
....another Spartan Fan growing up!

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that is amazing!! I would be frightened by that Sparty, good thing its not my house... lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's child abuse.....go blue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that's so funny! The rivalry between U of M and State runs deep....I've seen families divided by it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to write. I enjoy hearing from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails