Skip to main content

Refreshed Furniture





Ah, another baby's room. 
 But this time, I'm focusing on the furniture. 
The armoire and dresser are older pieces,
and they have some interesting detail.

The soon-to-be-new-Mom loved the ornate scrolls.
  BUT,
the pieces needed to be refreshed.
Don't you agree? 
 Before

We decided to highlight the scrolls with silver and gold,
and paint the top of the dresser dark silver.

What a difference these accents made!

After


Suddenly the furniture developed a personality!



Because I did this project in the client's home,
I couldn't have a big paint mess, so I chose to use
(find it at your local art-craft store)

Have you tried it?

It's perfect for adding metallic highlights to just about anything
....wood, pottery, metal, painted surfaces....

I used it on all the scrolls for this furniture.
Rubbed it on with a cloth, then buffed it when dry. 
A little dab goes a long - long - long way.

The top of the armoire and the dresser
were painted with Martha Stewart's metallic paint,
 layered with Benjamin Moore Studio Finishes.
Both dry quickly and have good coverage.

The mirrors for the dresser were sprayed
in my workshop with Krylon Metallic Silver,
then accented with Rub n' Buff.


Together these pieces look wonderful!
Now for some wall paint and drapery.




Enjoy!




Comments

  1. Oh, that is absolutely beautiful! I hope she lets you post complete views of the nursery. Fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how beautiful! I am getting inspired...want to paint a piece in metallics! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to write. I enjoy hearing from you!

Popular posts from this blog

A Family Tree

I was given AS a Mother's Day gift!
A friend's children, all young adults,  asked if I would paint a tree  on the wall in their game-room as a gift for their Mother on her special day. 
They had collected family photos, both old and new, and wanted to create a wall similar to one she had seen on-line, and admired.
Here's the inspiration shared with me.
Painter's tape helped plan where the main branches would go. And then I began to paint... until the wall was filled.


All the photos were framed in black, which helped unify their various sizes and shapes.
We decided where the frames would go
by holding them up to the wall, moving them a little to the left here
-- or a bit higher there.
Satisfied, the empty frame was nailed to the wall.

One by one the frames were filled with family photos,
and here's the happy result.


The tree spills across the entire wall
and wraps around the corner,
so as the family grows, there's room for more photos.

What a thoughtful gift,
for a very special Mothe…

Birch Tree Nursery

The color Grey is hitting our area -
and while I've never been fond of grey, I'll admit that my opinion is quickly changing.

Today's little project was a grey nursery -
with the new crib soon to be delivered,
and yellow/white linens from Pottery Barn.
...A smart look that's appropriate
for a little boy or girl.



The Mom-to-Be shared a photo of her inspiration with me.
She found it on-line at Off-Beat Mamma.
Notice the grey walls again!


But she wanted only a few trees flanking the crib.
And the design looked too stripe-y (is that a word?) for her.
Could the branches be bigger?

So feeling properly inspired, I set to work.
I made a little sketch
and used tape to lay out the tree design.



Before long there was a little grove of birch trees,
and the crib will nestle underneath them.
Enjoy!

Hopeful...A Hope Chest Make-over

A hope chest.
Perhaps your grandmother had one.
There was a time when young ladies would stitch lace trimmed linens, quilts, towels, and gather dishes and silver in anticipation of starting their own home.
They'd save them in their hope chest.  Today brides merely register at Bed Bath and Beyond! .


This is how the chest looked at first. Well almost.  Originally, the chest sat on the ground. But adding new legs gives it a lift.

BEFORE
Then step by step it got a face lift!
It started with an inspiration clipped from a magazine.


And grew from there. First with paint.
And some glazing.
Some sanding.

Followed by gold highlights.

I dabbed the brush here and there, back and forth, and all around.  Finally, I was satisfied.
And the chest was ready to go to its new home.

Yes, this is a sneak peek at my friend Sherry's master bedroom re-design.
I can't show you more, until she's ready!
Enjoy!

P.S.  See more inspiring projects at Domestically Speaking. Power of Paint Party!