Sunday, November 6, 2011

A Cow in the Kitchen


I've been asked to paint a cow.
I know nothing about cows. 
  Horses, yes. 
Cows no.
So I went drove to a nearby farm
hoping to be inspired by a bovine beauty.
 
 
 
 I hiked through the clover to get a closer look,
but only one cow,
 sitting apart from the rest of the herd,
showed any interest in me. 
 
Had these been horses,
a click of the tongue and an apple
would bring them right over.

But cows are not like that.
They're aloof.

Is it true that when cows lie in a field
it means rain is coming? 

These girls could be right -- 
The sky was cloudy, after all. 
Disappointed I couldn't make any new friends,
I turned to the internet to find my model
and came across this little Jersey.

calfranch.com
 
A loosely sketched beginning.


Followed with more detail.


Until the canvas was ready to be delivered.
The cow is part of a clever kitchen re-styling
that mixes Country Pine with Oriental Rugs and Ikea lucite.
It's quite interesting.
Fabulous, in fact.

But this is not your "country-cute cow".
 My instructions were:
...make it big!  The canvas is 6' x 4.5.'
...leave lot of negative space,
which means there's unpainted background area.
...and no color.

It's a perfect accent for a modern kitchen.

Enjoy!


6 comments:

  1. How fun!! it looks fantastic, as always. Hope you didn't step in any patties on your field trip... when i was going to college in florida, people would go out to the fields after it rained and harvest 'magic mushrooms' from under the cow pats...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Sharon,

    You did a great job at painting a cow! Your beautiful blog should have 5 widgets below each post. This is so easily done: http://mariettesbacktobasics.blogspot.com/2011/07/tip-how-you-can-place-5-linkwithin.html

    Love to you,

    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Followed you from My French Country Home--thank you for that lovely explanation of US Veteran's Day.

    An' thas' a very fine cow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. she is swwwweeeeeeeeett! Who wouldn't want a cow like this in their kitchen?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharon, this cow tickles my fancy, warms my heart, and makes me laugh. I adore him. I want a friend just like him in my house....let's talk! You are so talented and I love reading your blog! Joyce

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to write. I enjoy hearing from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails