Skip to main content

Seeing Things in a New LIght



Recently there've been a lot of requests
to paint light fixtures.

Those with brass want oil-rubbed bronze.
Those with bronze want silver.
Those with silver want antique gold.

I'm happy to help,
but the challenge is how to juggle the lights
 so they can be painted easily.

Two ladders and some pipe
made a sort of  'swing-set'.
The chandelier hangs in the center
and I can paint all sides of the light
 without handling it.


BEFORE  - antique gold with white pickling


AFTER - bronze with aged copper highlights


Spray cans of Rustoleum Oil Rubbed Bronze
 and Aged Copper
 were used for this project.
_________

Another project was repainting
four pendant lights, and their ceiling medallions.

Uh-oh, I forgot to take a BEFORE photo,
but the lights matched the style of
 this popular chandelier from Ballard Design.

The bronze finish needed to become antique silver.


There were lots of faceted crystals to be removed,
(then re-attached)
and lots of curls and swirls to paint.

Once again the 'swing-set'
came in handy.

First, everything was primed.


Then painted. 

Spray paint makes the job so easy.
I used Rustoleum Black then Krylon Silver
for these lights,
working back and forth
with spritzes of one color, then the other.



Then did the same for the medallions. 


It's amazing how a little paint can change things!
So don't discard your old lights,
think about refreshing them with some paint.

Enjoy!

Comments

  1. that is a great set up for painting lighting fixtures. I usually hang mine from a certain branch on a big tree in our back yard but the weather has to be good. This will work in the garage. Thanks for such a great tip.
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! now I can stop painting the driveway....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to write. I enjoy hearing from you!

Popular posts from this blog

A Family Tree

I was given AS a Mother's Day gift!
A friend's children, all young adults,  asked if I would paint a tree  on the wall in their game-room as a gift for their Mother on her special day. 
They had collected family photos, both old and new, and wanted to create a wall similar to one she had seen on-line, and admired.
Here's the inspiration shared with me.
Painter's tape helped plan where the main branches would go. And then I began to paint... until the wall was filled.


All the photos were framed in black, which helped unify their various sizes and shapes.
We decided where the frames would go
by holding them up to the wall, moving them a little to the left here
-- or a bit higher there.
Satisfied, the empty frame was nailed to the wall.

One by one the frames were filled with family photos,
and here's the happy result.


The tree spills across the entire wall
and wraps around the corner,
so as the family grows, there's room for more photos.

What a thoughtful gift,
for a very special Mothe…

Birch Tree Nursery

The color Grey is hitting our area -
and while I've never been fond of grey, I'll admit that my opinion is quickly changing.

Today's little project was a grey nursery -
with the new crib soon to be delivered,
and yellow/white linens from Pottery Barn.
...A smart look that's appropriate
for a little boy or girl.



The Mom-to-Be shared a photo of her inspiration with me.
She found it on-line at Off-Beat Mamma.
Notice the grey walls again!


But she wanted only a few trees flanking the crib.
And the design looked too stripe-y (is that a word?) for her.
Could the branches be bigger?

So feeling properly inspired, I set to work.
I made a little sketch
and used tape to lay out the tree design.



Before long there was a little grove of birch trees,
and the crib will nestle underneath them.
Enjoy!

Hopeful...A Hope Chest Make-over

A hope chest.
Perhaps your grandmother had one.
There was a time when young ladies would stitch lace trimmed linens, quilts, towels, and gather dishes and silver in anticipation of starting their own home.
They'd save them in their hope chest.  Today brides merely register at Bed Bath and Beyond! .


This is how the chest looked at first. Well almost.  Originally, the chest sat on the ground. But adding new legs gives it a lift.

BEFORE
Then step by step it got a face lift!
It started with an inspiration clipped from a magazine.


And grew from there. First with paint.
And some glazing.
Some sanding.

Followed by gold highlights.

I dabbed the brush here and there, back and forth, and all around.  Finally, I was satisfied.
And the chest was ready to go to its new home.

Yes, this is a sneak peek at my friend Sherry's master bedroom re-design.
I can't show you more, until she's ready!
Enjoy!

P.S.  See more inspiring projects at Domestically Speaking. Power of Paint Party!