Skip to main content

An Antique Silver Dresser


Here's a project near to my heart,
a painted dresser for our daughter's new home.
Shh-h-h, it's a Christmas surprise.

I can safely share this with you today,
knowing she's so busy packing up her old house
that she'll never have time to read this
and spoil my surprise. 

(M. if you do happen to read this,
at least pretend....won't you?)

The dresser came from a neighbor's garage sale.
I gleefully wheeled it home,
thankful that I lived downhill!

 
Some may ask what paint color I used.
This is Charred Silver from Faux Effects.
It's neutral, but has a lot of kick!


Wait!!!
Where did that crackle come from?
This is what greeted me the next morning.
As the paint dried overnight, it cracked.
Not at all what I planned.
Hmmm...
I did all the right preparation,
but there must have been some incompatibility
between the surface and my paint,
causing the paint to crack.


Rather than be disappointed,
I was pleased.
The crackle makes the piece more interesting.
I hadn't intended to create this effect ---
but I'm so glad it showed up!

The original hardware on the lower drawers
 looked fabulous,
so there was no reason to replace it.


However, I couldn't resist changing out
the knobs on the upper drawers
 with a little ZSA-ZSA!

Found these lovelies at Hobby Lobby.
Don't they have the best selection?



Continuing with the sparkle,
I finished the mirror frame with antiqued silver leaf.




I'll give her the mirrored dresser tray, too.
It belonged to her Grandmother,
and we're sentimental about those things.

The boudoir lamp is new.
It caught my eye while I walked through Pier 1
doing a bit of holiday shopping.
The color was just right.
The silver base matched the mirror frame.
With a little extra GLAM,
it would be perfect.


Some sparkle-y trim, and a glue gun.
 VOILA!

I learned this from my friend Sherry 
at Creations From My Heart.
She is the diva of transformation!
And an excellent teacher.
Sherry offers instructional videos for this project
and others in her Etsy shop. 
Thank you Sherry!


Now, all that remains is to deliver it to the new address!



Enjoy!

 

Comments

  1. Ooh, its gorgeous!!! Love the trim on the lamp and those zsa zsa knobs you added. One of these days, I'm going to have to add a silver piece somewhere in the house.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to write. I enjoy hearing from you!

Popular posts from this blog

A Family Tree

I was given AS a Mother's Day gift!
A friend's children, all young adults,  asked if I would paint a tree  on the wall in their game-room as a gift for their Mother on her special day. 
They had collected family photos, both old and new, and wanted to create a wall similar to one she had seen on-line, and admired.
Here's the inspiration shared with me.
Painter's tape helped plan where the main branches would go. And then I began to paint... until the wall was filled.


All the photos were framed in black, which helped unify their various sizes and shapes.
We decided where the frames would go
by holding them up to the wall, moving them a little to the left here
-- or a bit higher there.
Satisfied, the empty frame was nailed to the wall.

One by one the frames were filled with family photos,
and here's the happy result.


The tree spills across the entire wall
and wraps around the corner,
so as the family grows, there's room for more photos.

What a thoughtful gift,
for a very special Mothe…

Birch Tree Nursery

The color Grey is hitting our area -
and while I've never been fond of grey, I'll admit that my opinion is quickly changing.

Today's little project was a grey nursery -
with the new crib soon to be delivered,
and yellow/white linens from Pottery Barn.
...A smart look that's appropriate
for a little boy or girl.



The Mom-to-Be shared a photo of her inspiration with me.
She found it on-line at Off-Beat Mamma.
Notice the grey walls again!


But she wanted only a few trees flanking the crib.
And the design looked too stripe-y (is that a word?) for her.
Could the branches be bigger?

So feeling properly inspired, I set to work.
I made a little sketch
and used tape to lay out the tree design.



Before long there was a little grove of birch trees,
and the crib will nestle underneath them.
Enjoy!

Hopeful...A Hope Chest Make-over

A hope chest.
Perhaps your grandmother had one.
There was a time when young ladies would stitch lace trimmed linens, quilts, towels, and gather dishes and silver in anticipation of starting their own home.
They'd save them in their hope chest.  Today brides merely register at Bed Bath and Beyond! .


This is how the chest looked at first. Well almost.  Originally, the chest sat on the ground. But adding new legs gives it a lift.

BEFORE
Then step by step it got a face lift!
It started with an inspiration clipped from a magazine.


And grew from there. First with paint.
And some glazing.
Some sanding.

Followed by gold highlights.

I dabbed the brush here and there, back and forth, and all around.  Finally, I was satisfied.
And the chest was ready to go to its new home.

Yes, this is a sneak peek at my friend Sherry's master bedroom re-design.
I can't show you more, until she's ready!
Enjoy!

P.S.  See more inspiring projects at Domestically Speaking. Power of Paint Party!