Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Ugly Cheap Cabinet



Not long ago, I found this sideboard at an estate sale. 
 It was in the garage
lost under a mountain of boxes, magazines, and paint cans.

I think you'll agree it was in rough shape!



But that also meant a modest price tag. 
 I couldn't resist.
 SOLD for $15.

It's been sitting in my workshop for a while,
because I didn't know quite what to do with it.

I was waiting for inspiration to hit.
Meanwhile, it needed some repair, sanding and primer.

 I cleaned up the hardware,
just in case I decided to use the handles again.

Which reminds me.
Here's a tip for cleaning paint from metal hardware:
Place them in a pan of boiling water - and simmer. 

The paint will bubble up and easily come off.
Use an old toothbrush for those hard to reach spots.


This week I decided to give the cabinet some paint.

For some reason, I'm in a blue mood,
 so I reached for my favorite blue-grey color
 Benjamin Moore HC 146,
Wedgewood Grey.
Then antiqued it with a grey glaze.


A quick trip to Hobby Lobby snagged these handles.
Of all the handles, these were the only ones
with a 4" spread, that would fit the original holes.



The simple lines of the cabinet with the handles appeal to me.

But I've gotten ahead of myself
and shared the project before it's completed!
The drawers need to be lined
and all the hardware put in place.

Sometimes, I just get excited!!!
I promise a full photo when all the details are finished.

Enjoy!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to write. I enjoy hearing from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails