Sunday, March 11, 2012

It's Just Paint


It's just Paint. 
 
I've said that many times to myself
when I fuss over painting something.
Relax.  Enjoy the process. 
You don't have to solve world hunger,
bring peace to the planet
or balance the national budget. 
 
It's just paint. 


I'm simply happy to be two hands doing for others
what they cannot do for themselves. 
 They have the idea; 
I listen and do my best to bring their idea to life.
When the telephone rings,
I never know what the request will be. 
Yes, there are oddities.
Like the fellow who wanted
a wizard painted on his dining room wall.
And, no, I won't be sharing any photos of that project! 
Or the man who wanted me to paint
Michelangelo's 'Creation of Adam '
with his likeness, and he'd gladly pose for me. 
 No Thank You...really...No.


There are clever and unique things people ask me to paint.
Like paint a basketball court on the floor of a boy's bedroom.


Or cute little wine glasses with lighthouses.


But every now and again,
there are those projects that take you by surprise
like the one this week.  

I was asked to paint a teddy bear
for a baby's first birthday....

...a birthday that will never come
because this precious child
lived only briefly on this earth,
yet lives forever with Jesus.


So his Mom and I talked about what she'd like -
a large teddy painted on wood,
with a bow tie
and her baby's name on the banner.

I suspect she'll place it in the cemetery on his birthday
 -- and each year thereafter.


I'm humbled to do this for her.

That's when I realize it's more than just paint
It can bring a little peace,
a little healing,
a little comfort.

"I prayed for this child and the Lord granted me what I asked of Him,
so now I give him to the Lord -"   1 Samuel 1:27-28

1 comment:

  1. All of your paintings are beautiful, thank you for sharing them :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to write. I enjoy hearing from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails