Sunday, July 29, 2012

A Chair Affair Part 1

People often ask if I have a favorite project.
And I do.
It's always the one I'm currently working on!

Right now,
my favorite project is one for my Mother
who mentioned she'd like to add two small chairs
 to her sunroom.
She hoped to find chairs similar
 to the ones she'd had years ago.
( I think we kids may have ruined her chairs 
by poking our fingers in the caning.)

A few months ago I found these.
Not so lovely, but oozing potential!


This week I stripped away the old fabric
under the watchful eye of Seamus, the cat,
who was intrigued by every staple that fell into the
trash basket.


It was a slow process.


Finally, both chairs were freed from the1970s
and ready for a new beginning.


Isn't it amazing what fresh paint
and a little distressing can do. 




You can see that the two chairs don't match,
but by painting them the same color 
their differences will vanish, 
especially when the fabric goes on.


Actually, that's a painting tip worth remembering --
use color to unify mis-matched pieces of furniture.

Ann-Marie at Twice Lovely
offers a great example of how this works.

Wouldn't you love to have these chairs?




The hunt for fabric began. 
But no luck finding just the right color green,
....of the type of pattern.
That's when I decided to paint my own.



More on that later.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I love the cane painted white, they look so fresh and new it is hard to believe that they from the 70's. Can't wait to see the fabric you are creating.
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fresh look, love it! Isn't it just like you to create your own fabric, too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to write. I enjoy hearing from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails