Sunday, October 28, 2012

Books and Art



 
We are readers.
There's nothing more pleasant than sitting in a cozy corner
with a cup of tea and a good book in hand while the fire warms the room.
This is where you'll find me
when there's not a paintbrush in my hand.

A while ago, I began building a gallery wall --
not of family photos, tho' that would be nice, too,
but of paintings and prints that appealed to me.

It's nice to surround yourself with things that make you feel content.
My wall is an assortment of sentiment and inspiration.
Some painted by my husband's mother, others by local artists,
one found at an antique shop and one purchased at Home Goods!
 
Earlier in the year, I found these two paintings at an estate sale.  
It was the last day when prices were so low
a person would be silly to resist the impulse to buy.

These two paintings caught my eye.
I knew they'd be a perfect addition to my gallery wall
once they were re-framed.

 

before

Do you see the difference new matting and the proper frame make?
 
The original thin silver frame was too contemporary
and the wide double matting overpowered the painting.

after
 


 The new matting is narrower and shows more of the ladies,
while the brown frame relates to the colors in the watercolor.

These pieces soon joined other favorites in my reading corner.
And you can see there's still a spot to add one more piece!





Designers will tell you to lay your grouping out on the floor,
or make paper templates to test the layout on the wall before you pick up a hammer,
but I chose a much more casual approach.

The frames touch each other, filling the wall from corner to corner.
Linked together they make a stonger statement
 than if they were placed individually around the room.
Nothing matches - neither frame, matting, nor subject.
If anything unites them, it's color -- muted, muddy color.

But I like it that way, random, and oddly off kilter!

 

Enjoy! 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to write. I enjoy hearing from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails