Sunday, April 14, 2013

Chic Sheep


(forahinmotion.org)

What do you do when you find the perfect painting,
but its size is too small?

That problem was faced last week
when Miss Sue found a charming sheep portrait.

Last season the cow I painted for a mutual friend
 sparked Sue's imagination and she wanted her own beast-y.

While I was happy to paint one for her,
I knew that my style wouldn't be quite right for Sue's home.

She needed  Bold  -  Bright  - Artsy

... I'd seen just the thing for her at a local antique shop.

So, off we went.

Who could resist this sweet face and soft eyes?
It was love at first sight.
And Eunice (Ewe-nis) came home.



But the 20"x20" size wasn't quite right.
Larger would be better.

Eunice is painted on a piece of distressed plywood.
Because the painting is folk-art and rustic,
I decided to mount it on a simple black board.
No frame. 
No fancy moldings.
Just a plain 5" border around her face.

I found a piece of board in the studio and painted it black..
With a dollop of construction adhesive,
Eunice instantly was "framed."

But wait!
What's that?

Are those wings on Eunice's back?
Murphy, the cat, seems to think so.
 
 
 
 Oh, dear.
They'd have to go.

With silent apologies to the local artist who painted Eunice,
I blackened out the wings.



....ah, much better!

 Eunice spent a few days on my mantle
before I delivered her to Miss Sue.

I grew fond of her.

Reluctantly, I let Eunice go to her new home,
promising myself that soon I'd paint my own beast-y.

 

Here's Eunice in her new home. 
She looks very content, doesn't she?

....unless of course mutton is on the menu!

 

P.S.  I just learned that a moose, now officially named Morris,
has joined Sue's menagerie.
He's a handsome fellow
and came with his own set of shutters for a great display!



 
Enjoy!






2 comments:

  1. great job of making this painting work. I would have painted out those wings too! Love the simple black frame, I wish I had a friend like you.
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those were horns not wings

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to write. I enjoy hearing from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails