Skip to main content

A Master Make-over

There's lot of furniture painting going on!
 
This week I had the pleasure of being part of a master bedroom re-design.

The room went through a major change
--- from Old World to Island Chic.

BEFORE


AFTER


 
My friend and drapery designer, Sherry, chose lovely fabrics
 in shades of sea-glass and sunshine for the
drapery, pillows and bed-covers.
 
 
I freshened up the furniture.
 
Made by Bernhardt,
the furniture was well worth the time and effort to paint.
It was pickled oak, but over the years
 the varnish has yellowed.
 
I would paint it a soft white (SW Panda White)
and add a bit of brown lining for definition.
 
 

Usually I paint furniture in the workshop.
But this time the pieces were too large to move easily,
so the client asked me to paint on site.
 
Oh my!
 
With drop cloths in place, I carefully began working on the cabinets.
 
 

Because the furniture had classic, clean lines
I was concerned that once the armoire would look like a refrigerator
once it was painted white.

Painting a design on the door panels would fix that,
but what design to use?
 
Inspiration comes from a tissue box.
 
 
 
Hmmm....this trellis design could work.....
 
Let's paint it in green to coordinate with the fabrics.,
 
So here we go:

Draw the design on to some transparency film
and lightly trace it onto the doors.

Begin in the center and work to the edges to balance the design.
Keep things level!
 

 
 
This the paint with water and fill in the design,
not fussing about brush marks and variation in color.
 
 

 
 
With the same watered-down paint,
highlight the perimeter of the pane.
 
 
 
New hardware will be the final touch for the furniture facelift,
and in a few weeks the entire room will be transformed.
 
Let's look again at how things turned out.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Enjoy! 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Family Tree

I was given AS a Mother's Day gift!
A friend's children, all young adults,  asked if I would paint a tree  on the wall in their game-room as a gift for their Mother on her special day. 
They had collected family photos, both old and new, and wanted to create a wall similar to one she had seen on-line, and admired.
Here's the inspiration shared with me.
Painter's tape helped plan where the main branches would go. And then I began to paint... until the wall was filled.


All the photos were framed in black, which helped unify their various sizes and shapes.
We decided where the frames would go
by holding them up to the wall, moving them a little to the left here
-- or a bit higher there.
Satisfied, the empty frame was nailed to the wall.

One by one the frames were filled with family photos,
and here's the happy result.


The tree spills across the entire wall
and wraps around the corner,
so as the family grows, there's room for more photos.

What a thoughtful gift,
for a very special Mothe…

Birch Tree Nursery

The color Grey is hitting our area -
and while I've never been fond of grey, I'll admit that my opinion is quickly changing.

Today's little project was a grey nursery -
with the new crib soon to be delivered,
and yellow/white linens from Pottery Barn.
...A smart look that's appropriate
for a little boy or girl.



The Mom-to-Be shared a photo of her inspiration with me.
She found it on-line at Off-Beat Mamma.
Notice the grey walls again!


But she wanted only a few trees flanking the crib.
And the design looked too stripe-y (is that a word?) for her.
Could the branches be bigger?

So feeling properly inspired, I set to work.
I made a little sketch
and used tape to lay out the tree design.



Before long there was a little grove of birch trees,
and the crib will nestle underneath them.
Enjoy!

Hopeful...A Hope Chest Make-over

A hope chest.
Perhaps your grandmother had one.
There was a time when young ladies would stitch lace trimmed linens, quilts, towels, and gather dishes and silver in anticipation of starting their own home.
They'd save them in their hope chest.  Today brides merely register at Bed Bath and Beyond! .


This is how the chest looked at first. Well almost.  Originally, the chest sat on the ground. But adding new legs gives it a lift.

BEFORE
Then step by step it got a face lift!
It started with an inspiration clipped from a magazine.


And grew from there. First with paint.
And some glazing.
Some sanding.

Followed by gold highlights.

I dabbed the brush here and there, back and forth, and all around.  Finally, I was satisfied.
And the chest was ready to go to its new home.

Yes, this is a sneak peek at my friend Sherry's master bedroom re-design.
I can't show you more, until she's ready!
Enjoy!

P.S.  See more inspiring projects at Domestically Speaking. Power of Paint Party!