Skip to main content

Detour into the Cemetery



 
My favorite project this week didn't involve paint brushes,
--instead, it involved scrub brushes.
 
Yes, I admit to having a quirky passion for cemeteries.
I'm a cemetery walker,
and it's a shame to see time take it's toll on the old gravestones.
 
So when the opportunity came to learn about restoring these stones,
I jumped at the chance.

In sweltering 90 degree heat a group of enthusiasts gathered at a local cemetery
to learn about tombstone cleaning and restoration.
Expert, Mark Moran of Gravestone Guardians, led the day-long seminar.

It was dirty.
It was sweaty.
It was fun.


 Each of us was assigned a tombstone and we dug in -- pardon the pun. 

 Our stone was broken, but before it could be put back together,
it had to be cleaned, and the base needed unearthed and re-set on level ground. 

We dug.


We cleaned.
 
 
We reset the base.


We repaired.
 
 
We filled.
 
Every site was unique, requiring care and thought. 
 
The ladies working next to me determined their stone
 was buried beneath 125 years of sediment and grass.

They began removing sod and soon the stone appeared.
As anticipated, it belonged to wife of the man whose stone we worked on.  

She is Hulda Greene, wife of Nathan.
Nathan was a veteran of the WAR OF 1812,
and his family donated the land for this cemetery.  
 


 
Another stone proved to be a tablet nearly 6' tall.  
It took hours to excavate and four men to pull it from the ground.

WHEW!




Work continued all afternoon.


 
 
At the end of the day, nearly two dozen gravestones
 were repaired, cleaned, leveled and reset.




Everyone was exhausted, but content
 knowing that we had done something significant -
we helped preserve a precious part of local history.

Enjoy!
 
 
 
 











Comments

  1. This is such a wonderful thing to do. I must admit that I like cemeteries too, there is so much history there. My Grandma took me as a child to visit my grandfather's grave and we would clean his headstone. Now both my Grandmother and my dad are there and my children grew up visiting and caring for the family plot.
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With four generations of your family in one place, you certainly have a sense of community, Traci. People today, often move about and find themselves far from their roots. And what a special memory of sharing time with your Grandmother. I'm so glad you shared!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to write. I enjoy hearing from you!

Popular posts from this blog

A Family Tree

I was given AS a Mother's Day gift!
A friend's children, all young adults,  asked if I would paint a tree  on the wall in their game-room as a gift for their Mother on her special day. 
They had collected family photos, both old and new, and wanted to create a wall similar to one she had seen on-line, and admired.
Here's the inspiration shared with me.
Painter's tape helped plan where the main branches would go. And then I began to paint... until the wall was filled.


All the photos were framed in black, which helped unify their various sizes and shapes.
We decided where the frames would go
by holding them up to the wall, moving them a little to the left here
-- or a bit higher there.
Satisfied, the empty frame was nailed to the wall.

One by one the frames were filled with family photos,
and here's the happy result.


The tree spills across the entire wall
and wraps around the corner,
so as the family grows, there's room for more photos.

What a thoughtful gift,
for a very special Mothe…

Birch Tree Nursery

The color Grey is hitting our area -
and while I've never been fond of grey, I'll admit that my opinion is quickly changing.

Today's little project was a grey nursery -
with the new crib soon to be delivered,
and yellow/white linens from Pottery Barn.
...A smart look that's appropriate
for a little boy or girl.



The Mom-to-Be shared a photo of her inspiration with me.
She found it on-line at Off-Beat Mamma.
Notice the grey walls again!


But she wanted only a few trees flanking the crib.
And the design looked too stripe-y (is that a word?) for her.
Could the branches be bigger?

So feeling properly inspired, I set to work.
I made a little sketch
and used tape to lay out the tree design.



Before long there was a little grove of birch trees,
and the crib will nestle underneath them.
Enjoy!

Hopeful...A Hope Chest Make-over

A hope chest.
Perhaps your grandmother had one.
There was a time when young ladies would stitch lace trimmed linens, quilts, towels, and gather dishes and silver in anticipation of starting their own home.
They'd save them in their hope chest.  Today brides merely register at Bed Bath and Beyond! .


This is how the chest looked at first. Well almost.  Originally, the chest sat on the ground. But adding new legs gives it a lift.

BEFORE
Then step by step it got a face lift!
It started with an inspiration clipped from a magazine.


And grew from there. First with paint.
And some glazing.
Some sanding.

Followed by gold highlights.

I dabbed the brush here and there, back and forth, and all around.  Finally, I was satisfied.
And the chest was ready to go to its new home.

Yes, this is a sneak peek at my friend Sherry's master bedroom re-design.
I can't show you more, until she's ready!
Enjoy!

P.S.  See more inspiring projects at Domestically Speaking. Power of Paint Party!