Tuesday, February 4, 2014

An Alphabet Sign




OK, I confess - I enjoy winter.
And we've had a healthy dose of it this season. 
Today, with temperatures soaring to 12 degrees F, it feels absolutely balmy outdoors!
 
Of course it's easy to love snowy days
 when you have the luxury of a warm home and the freedom to work there. 
 I don't take that blessing lightly.
Still, when you've grown up in Buffalo, you develop a certain hardiness
and sense of adventure about the season.
 
So on these blustery days,
 I've worked on a few projects, some for my clients and some for me.
 
Here's one I did today -- for me!
 
 
First, let me thank Susie Harris for the inspiration.

Ever since I saw her Alphabet Sign painted like old typewriter keys,
I wanted to try my hand at one.
 
If you haven't seen Susie's artwork, don't waste a moment.
Hop over and visit her blog.  You won't be disappointed.

To paint my Alphabet,
 I re-cycled one of my old paintings.


Removed from the frame, I primed over the flowers,


then "tempered" the canvas by painting it in ochre
and dirtying it up with diluted raw umber.

Note:  A toned background makes any painting more interesting
 than simply beginning to paint on a white canvas.



Using sophisticated tools ( ha!), I traced enough circles to fill the canvas


and painted them black.


At the computer I printed out the alphabet and traced them onto the circles.
A 200+ size font gave me the right sized letters.


The letters were loosely painted with a flat brush,
and with a quick swoosh-y brushstroke  the highlights were added.
Using a dry chip-y old 3" brush,
I tickled over the canvas with black paint to make things look old.

The canvas filled a spot in my favorite reading corner,
keeping company with an old door snagged at my favorite junk-shop.
Its weathered orange and yellow paint fits right in!
How perfect.

It's a very good day!




Enjoy! 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to write. I enjoy hearing from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails