Sunday, June 8, 2014

A 1970's Family Room Update

Recently, I had the opportunity to work with one of my favorite designers
as she completed a make-over for a client's family room.
 
The home was built in the 1970's, and like many homes of that age,
the family room had a fireplace plunked in the middle of a long wall. 

You know the look. 
Something like this. 


 
Besides updating the overall look of the room with new paint and fabric,
the project's goal was three-fold:
Provide storage.
Make room for a new "manly" television.
Integrate the fireplace into the room.  
  
By the time I arrived the fireplace had been redesigned with dry-stacked stone,
and the carpenter had built nearly 16 feet of cabinets and shelves. 
Lots of storage here!

TIP:  Want to update your 1970's family room?
Look up.
Paint the ceiling beams to match the ceiling. 

And if removing the dated paneling isn't feasible,
paint it....oh please, do! You'll love the instant change.
 

Every room has a focal point. 
Here it definitely is the fireplace wall.

Using the right color ties the elements together,
 making it seem as though the stone and shelves always have been there.

 Benjamin Moore HC 103 - a dirty, grey with a green undertone does the job nicely.
It's one of the colors found in the stone.

And because the client wanted the paint to be distressed a bit,
  the cabinets were antiqued with a dark brown glaze.

I always do a sample for my clients before beginning their project.
It's as much for my benefit as theirs because neither of us wants any "paint surprises!"

You can see my sample door below.
Adding the glaze gives the paint some character.
 
 
Within a few days, the painting was complete.
Just in time for the giant TV to arrive!
 
While I didn't get to see the room completely finished,
I did get a glimpse of the newly upholstered chairs.
 
Love that persimmon ottoman! 
(and why didn't I pick up my drop cloth before snapping a picture!!!) 

 
 
Enjoy!
 
 

 
 
 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to write. I enjoy hearing from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails