Wednesday, June 15, 2016

1970's Dresser Refreshed




Maybe you have a piece of furniture from the 1970's,
but it doesn't look stylish anymore.  
Stop fussing, because you have a gem waiting to shine!

The best thing about 1970's furniture is that it's made of wood. 
Frankly, if you're going to invest time to paint or refinish a piece of furniture, 
you want something sturdy and well made.  

You want wood.  
Like this dresser.  It's vintage 1970's Drexel Heritage.

To bring this dresser up-to-date, I decided to paint it white.
But all white seemed boring. 
For contrast, I chose to keep the wood top.
It was in good condition, but it needed to be refinished.

Let me introduce you to a time-saver:

Minwax Furniture Refinisher
This is the perfect way to remove varnish, shellac and lacquer
without damaging the wood underneath.
No sanding.
No scraping.
No mess. 

The old varnish came off quickly and easily.
In less than an hour, the top was done.

Once I saw the color of the natural wood, I decided not to re-stain it,

and left it natural. 



What a difference!  I loved the lighter, honey color.

So let's paint!

For this project, I tried out a "new" paint.

Actually it's been around for a while, and many of you know about it, 
but it was new to me:

 FUSION MINERAL PAINT



In some ways, it's similar to the popular chalk paint.
Like chalk paint, Fusion doesn't require sanding and priming.
 FUSION has a built in top coat, so adding one isn't necessary.
I prefer a top coat on everything, especially furniture, so I added a 
satin Polycrylic coating on the dresser. 

The results were wonderful!  I'll definitely use this paint again.


Here's a PAINT TIP you may like to try:

Whenever I plan to distress a piece of white furniture, 
I first paint it BLACK.

Sounds strange, doesn't it?

Painting the fiece black first, takes the "sweetness" out of the white paint.

 Plus, the black peeks through when the piece is sanded 
and gives it a little extra personality.

Like this.


You'll notice that I painted the hardware to match the drawers.
 This way, they recede into the background and don't distract from the new paint.

I like how this old dresser turned out.  It's lighter and fresher and has a new lease on life!


Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to write. I enjoy hearing from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails