Wednesday, June 29, 2016

The French Bench: made from a headboard



Just like you, I've seen beds turned into benches on Pinterest.
So when these lovelies appeared at a local thrift store, it was time to build.
These are bunk beds. 
 I loved the board and batten style to them, and we snapped them up. 

Ultimately, the benches would be for sale in a local shop.
Selling in a shop was new territory for me, because everything I do is for a specific client.
I was curious - and a bit nervous -  to see if anyone would find them interesting.

My husband quickly caught the vision of changing a bed into a bench
and took over construction.  
There's nothing he can't do!
I'll come back on the scene when it's time to paint.

Because the benches have a cottage-y style,
they begged for shabby paint and some French lettering.
 You'll find lots of French lettering for inspiration at the Graphics Fairy.
This one appealed to me because it reads:  
 " Furnished house with large
apartments and comfortable rooms".

I like to think this bench will find itself in a house with large, comfortable rooms.

Even though the benches would be white, I first painted them BLACK
so that some color would show when I sanded them. 
If you look closely, you'll see some of the under painting peeking through.

Here's a Paint Tip:

White furniture can look too "fresh and clean".
To create a vintage appearance, brush on a dark brown glaze --
then wipe most of it off with a rag.
You could also use Annie Sloan's dark tinted wax.
Either way, you'll get a soft, subtle effect. 



Enjoy!

P.S. We were excited to hear that both benches 
sold within a week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to write. I enjoy hearing from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails