Thursday, May 11, 2017

Painting the Look of Weathered Wood - a Coastal Wall




Rather than move to a new home, my clients decided to renovate the lower level of their home
which opens onto a backyard oasis featuring a pool and lovely lake view.

Often, what I do is part of a larger project, so I rarely get to see things finished.
That's exactly what happened here.  I'd love to see how it all turned out. 

The homeowner has a charming style.  
I'd call it "beach house glam" -- a mix of rustic wood and lots of sparkle!
My job was to paint the wood for her feature wall.
This was made easier because I painted the boards before they were cut and installed.

The wood is NEW rough-sawn pine cut into 4" to 10" widths. 
But how do you lay out so many boards at once?


We set up saw horses and work tables in the garage.
This way we could work with several boards at a time, then move them to dry.
Once dry, they were sorted by size and stored on the rungs of the ladders. 

The best part of this project was working with my Mom.  
She was visiting us for several days when this project was scheduled.
I told her there was no sitting on the sidelines!
There's work to be done.   Here's a roller -- go for it!
And she did. 


To get a scruffy, weathered effect, we first rolled each board with a base color, 
then randomly skipped on other colors with a roller or brush.
There's no right or wrong way to paint these boards.
It's all very un-structured.  
And what fun we had!
Thanks Mom for your help!


Each board was different, but the over-all effect on the wall was soft 
and reminded my client of beach glass.


Another part of this project was to paint the switchplate covers to match the granite and the tile.
It's all about details!






Enjoy!

......and Happy Mother's Day, Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to write. I enjoy hearing from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails