Skip to main content

Painting the Look of Weathered Wood - a Coastal Wall




Rather than move to a new home, my clients decided to renovate the lower level of their home
which opens onto a backyard oasis featuring a pool and lovely lake view.

Often, what I do is part of a larger project, so I rarely get to see things finished.
That's exactly what happened here.  I'd love to see how it all turned out. 

The homeowner has a charming style.  
I'd call it "beach house glam" -- a mix of rustic wood and lots of sparkle!
My job was to paint the wood for her feature wall.
This was made easier because I painted the boards before they were cut and installed.

The wood is NEW rough-sawn pine cut into 4" to 10" widths. 
But how do you lay out so many boards at once?


We set up saw horses and work tables in the garage.
This way we could work with several boards at a time, then move them to dry.
Once dry, they were sorted by size and stored on the rungs of the ladders. 

The best part of this project was working with my Mom.  
She was visiting us for several days when this project was scheduled.
I told her there was no sitting on the sidelines!
There's work to be done.   Here's a roller -- go for it!
And she did. 


To get a scruffy, weathered effect, we first rolled each board with a base color, 
then randomly skipped on other colors with a roller or brush.
There's no right or wrong way to paint these boards.
It's all very un-structured.  
And what fun we had!
Thanks Mom for your help!


Each board was different, but the over-all effect on the wall was soft 
and reminded my client of beach glass.


Another part of this project was to paint the switchplate covers to match the granite and the tile.
It's all about details!






Enjoy!

......and Happy Mother's Day, Mom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Family Tree

I was given AS a Mother's Day gift!
A friend's children, all young adults,  asked if I would paint a tree  on the wall in their game-room as a gift for their Mother on her special day. 
They had collected family photos, both old and new, and wanted to create a wall similar to one she had seen on-line, and admired.
Here's the inspiration shared with me.
Painter's tape helped plan where the main branches would go. And then I began to paint... until the wall was filled.


All the photos were framed in black, which helped unify their various sizes and shapes.
We decided where the frames would go
by holding them up to the wall, moving them a little to the left here
-- or a bit higher there.
Satisfied, the empty frame was nailed to the wall.

One by one the frames were filled with family photos,
and here's the happy result.


The tree spills across the entire wall
and wraps around the corner,
so as the family grows, there's room for more photos.

What a thoughtful gift,
for a very special Mothe…

Birch Tree Nursery

The color Grey is hitting our area -
and while I've never been fond of grey, I'll admit that my opinion is quickly changing.

Today's little project was a grey nursery -
with the new crib soon to be delivered,
and yellow/white linens from Pottery Barn.
...A smart look that's appropriate
for a little boy or girl.



The Mom-to-Be shared a photo of her inspiration with me.
She found it on-line at Off-Beat Mamma.
Notice the grey walls again!


But she wanted only a few trees flanking the crib.
And the design looked too stripe-y (is that a word?) for her.
Could the branches be bigger?

So feeling properly inspired, I set to work.
I made a little sketch
and used tape to lay out the tree design.



Before long there was a little grove of birch trees,
and the crib will nestle underneath them.
Enjoy!

Hopeful...A Hope Chest Make-over

A hope chest.
Perhaps your grandmother had one.
There was a time when young ladies would stitch lace trimmed linens, quilts, towels, and gather dishes and silver in anticipation of starting their own home.
They'd save them in their hope chest.  Today brides merely register at Bed Bath and Beyond! .


This is how the chest looked at first. Well almost.  Originally, the chest sat on the ground. But adding new legs gives it a lift.

BEFORE
Then step by step it got a face lift!
It started with an inspiration clipped from a magazine.


And grew from there. First with paint.
And some glazing.
Some sanding.

Followed by gold highlights.

I dabbed the brush here and there, back and forth, and all around.  Finally, I was satisfied.
And the chest was ready to go to its new home.

Yes, this is a sneak peek at my friend Sherry's master bedroom re-design.
I can't show you more, until she's ready!
Enjoy!

P.S.  See more inspiring projects at Domestically Speaking. Power of Paint Party!