Skip to main content

Another Oak Kitchen: cabinets painted black


Shawn likes everything about her home - everything thing except her kitchen!
She's planning to update by adding granite, new lighting, a tile backsplash and a new wall color. 
Custom cabinets weren't in the budget, so I was asked to paint the old ones.

Although these are builder-grade, standard cabinets,
they have two things going for them: 
they are in great condition and they have Shaker-style doors.

The cabinet bases were brushed, but I sprayed the cabinet doors in the workshop.
However, finding an efficient way to dry all of them at one time was a challenge.

The problem was solved with ladders and lengths of 1x2.
We set up several stations in the workroom, 
and found we had ample space for all the doors and drawers.
I've shared tips for painting Kitchen Cabinets before.  You're welcome to read more HERE

We decided to lightly distressing the edges of the cabinets.
Distressing gives the doors brings bit of personality,
plus it will camouflage any wear-and-tear that may occur over time.

Here's my favorite sanding tool:   DREMEL MULTI-MAX 
(I'm merely giving my opinion based my experience, and receive no incentives!)

So why do I like the MULTI MAX?
It's light-weight and the sanding pads easily attach with velcro.
No slipping or tearing.
But best of all, the triangular shape lets me control where the distressing goes
and how much to add.
See how easily you can skim the edge?
Another bonus for this project:
The family allowed me to paint the cabinets while there were out of town.
This was ideal because I didn't disrupt their daily routine,
and the paint had ample time to cure before the cabinets were used.

What a treat it was for them to arrive home to their "new" cabinets.
The entire character of the room changed!
And it will only get better from here, as more gets done.
                                 


Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Family Tree

I was given AS a Mother's Day gift!
A friend's children, all young adults,  asked if I would paint a tree  on the wall in their game-room as a gift for their Mother on her special day. 
They had collected family photos, both old and new, and wanted to create a wall similar to one she had seen on-line, and admired.
Here's the inspiration shared with me.
Painter's tape helped plan where the main branches would go. And then I began to paint... until the wall was filled.


All the photos were framed in black, which helped unify their various sizes and shapes.
We decided where the frames would go
by holding them up to the wall, moving them a little to the left here
-- or a bit higher there.
Satisfied, the empty frame was nailed to the wall.

One by one the frames were filled with family photos,
and here's the happy result.


The tree spills across the entire wall
and wraps around the corner,
so as the family grows, there's room for more photos.

What a thoughtful gift,
for a very special Mothe…

Birch Tree Nursery

The color Grey is hitting our area -
and while I've never been fond of grey, I'll admit that my opinion is quickly changing.

Today's little project was a grey nursery -
with the new crib soon to be delivered,
and yellow/white linens from Pottery Barn.
...A smart look that's appropriate
for a little boy or girl.



The Mom-to-Be shared a photo of her inspiration with me.
She found it on-line at Off-Beat Mamma.
Notice the grey walls again!


But she wanted only a few trees flanking the crib.
And the design looked too stripe-y (is that a word?) for her.
Could the branches be bigger?

So feeling properly inspired, I set to work.
I made a little sketch
and used tape to lay out the tree design.



Before long there was a little grove of birch trees,
and the crib will nestle underneath them.
Enjoy!

Hopeful...A Hope Chest Make-over

A hope chest.
Perhaps your grandmother had one.
There was a time when young ladies would stitch lace trimmed linens, quilts, towels, and gather dishes and silver in anticipation of starting their own home.
They'd save them in their hope chest.  Today brides merely register at Bed Bath and Beyond! .


This is how the chest looked at first. Well almost.  Originally, the chest sat on the ground. But adding new legs gives it a lift.

BEFORE
Then step by step it got a face lift!
It started with an inspiration clipped from a magazine.


And grew from there. First with paint.
And some glazing.
Some sanding.

Followed by gold highlights.

I dabbed the brush here and there, back and forth, and all around.  Finally, I was satisfied.
And the chest was ready to go to its new home.

Yes, this is a sneak peek at my friend Sherry's master bedroom re-design.
I can't show you more, until she's ready!
Enjoy!

P.S.  See more inspiring projects at Domestically Speaking. Power of Paint Party!