Friday, June 30, 2017

Zinc Table Top


This handy serving cart didn't fit into to my client's new decor, 
so she asked me to paint it for her. 
Knowing her style, I suggested a shabby effect with a faux zinc top. 



Here's how I did it.

First I did some on-line research and looked for examples of authentic zinc patina. 
I prefer to paint what I see, rather than follow a prescribed "recipe".
This photo became my inspiration.
vanhookandco.blogspot.com
The darker portion of the photo is oxidized zinc.
The lighter side is zinc metal without any oxidation or patina.

 The first step was to paint the top black.
Then,  I added three different colors of grey and applied them in order of dark to light:
1. medium grey - Black + White
2. Martha Stewart Metallic Paint - Thundercloud
3. light grey - Black + White + White
Zinc is a very reactive metal.  
Exposed to air, it begins to oxidize, turning dark.
Food placed on it surface will cause it to turn brownish, 
and zinc develops a powdery white color (white rust) in reaction to moisture.

Zinc is a popular material for kitchen and bath countertops, 
but be aware that it will oxidize.
To further achieve that effect, 
I added both brown stains and white blooms to the table top,
while allowing some of the black to show through
.


Here's a photo of authentic zinc followed by my painted version.



The rest of the cart was painted a "shabby white" effect.
It first was painted black, then white, and sanded back to reveal the black undercoat. 
The final touch was to dry-brush more black on top.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to write. I enjoy hearing from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails