Skip to main content

Paper Roses in the Nursery

My client wanted a simple, understated baby's room.
No themes. No kitsch. No bright colors.
Just quiet.
I helped her select a neutral color palette of champagne, bisque and white.
She wanted a some type of focal point on the wall where the crib would be.
We toyed with a variety of ideas - monograms, banners, medallions -
and ultimately we decided upon a soft drape of sheer fabric.

To "dress up" my simple painting, I suggested adding Swarovski crystals to the design
and anchoring the drape with roses made from paper.
Aren't they cute?
Could I have painted roses on the wall?
Sure, but it's more interesting to have an unexpected detail as part of the design.
The painting, the dimensional flowers and the sparkle
struck the right note for my client.

Paper roses are easy to make and part of the fun in making them
is that each one turns out differently. 
Just like the roses Mother Nature provides.

 Want to make some?
You'll find lots of ideas and tutorials on Pinterest.
Like these at doodle craft. made from pages of a book.
Aren't they clever?
My paper roses less structured than these -- more "free form"---
which means I didn't follow a pattern or directions.
I winged it!

I used a 2" long strip of 11x14 office paper, folded in half,
and rolled, twisted and turned the paper into a rose shape,
hot-gluing as I went along.
The rose was glued to a small cardboard circle, painted and embellished.
After adding a few leaves, they were ready to be glued to the wall.

Can you see the possibilities for using these paper roses
clustered on top a gift wrapped package...
....Or on a photo frame....Or on a lampshade...
or a home-made card....



Popular posts from this blog

A Family Tree

I was given AS a Mother's Day gift!
A friend's children, all young adults,  asked if I would paint a tree  on the wall in their game-room as a gift for their Mother on her special day. 
They had collected family photos, both old and new, and wanted to create a wall similar to one she had seen on-line, and admired.
Here's the inspiration shared with me.
Painter's tape helped plan where the main branches would go. And then I began to paint... until the wall was filled.

All the photos were framed in black, which helped unify their various sizes and shapes.
We decided where the frames would go
by holding them up to the wall, moving them a little to the left here
-- or a bit higher there.
Satisfied, the empty frame was nailed to the wall.

One by one the frames were filled with family photos,
and here's the happy result.

The tree spills across the entire wall
and wraps around the corner,
so as the family grows, there's room for more photos.

What a thoughtful gift,
for a very special Mothe…

Birch Tree Nursery

The color Grey is hitting our area -
and while I've never been fond of grey, I'll admit that my opinion is quickly changing.

Today's little project was a grey nursery -
with the new crib soon to be delivered,
and yellow/white linens from Pottery Barn.
...A smart look that's appropriate
for a little boy or girl.

The Mom-to-Be shared a photo of her inspiration with me.
She found it on-line at Off-Beat Mamma.
Notice the grey walls again!

But she wanted only a few trees flanking the crib.
And the design looked too stripe-y (is that a word?) for her.
Could the branches be bigger?

So feeling properly inspired, I set to work.
I made a little sketch
and used tape to lay out the tree design.

Before long there was a little grove of birch trees,
and the crib will nestle underneath them.

Hopeful...A Hope Chest Make-over

A hope chest.
Perhaps your grandmother had one.
There was a time when young ladies would stitch lace trimmed linens, quilts, towels, and gather dishes and silver in anticipation of starting their own home.
They'd save them in their hope chest.  Today brides merely register at Bed Bath and Beyond! .

This is how the chest looked at first. Well almost.  Originally, the chest sat on the ground. But adding new legs gives it a lift.

Then step by step it got a face lift!
It started with an inspiration clipped from a magazine.

And grew from there. First with paint.
And some glazing.
Some sanding.

Followed by gold highlights.

I dabbed the brush here and there, back and forth, and all around.  Finally, I was satisfied.
And the chest was ready to go to its new home.

Yes, this is a sneak peek at my friend Sherry's master bedroom re-design.
I can't show you more, until she's ready!

P.S.  See more inspiring projects at Domestically Speaking. Power of Paint Party!